Geranium Health Benefits
Geranium (Pelargonium Odorantissimum) the main compontents of this oil is are Alpha Pinene, Myrcene, Limonene, Menthone, Linalool, Geranyl Acetate, Citronellol, Geraniol and Geranyl Butyrate. Geranium is known as a astringent, hemostatic, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, diuretic, deodorant, styptic, tonic, vermifuge and vulnerary agent. It is widely used for many health benefits including its ability to balance hormones, relieve stress and depression, reduce inflammation and irritation, improve health of the skin, alleviate the effects of menopause, improve circulation, benefit dental health, boost kidney health, and reduce blood pressure.
Here is a list of the many health benefits geranium offers:
- Antibacterial & Antimicrobial: the strong properties of Geranium oil prevents bacteria or microbes from developing on wounds and keeps you safe from developing infections. This boost to the immune system allows the body's defensive cells to focus on the internal challenges and dangers, rather than being weakened by peripheral toxins of the skin.
- Vulnerary: Geranium speeds up the healing process of cuts, scrapes, wounds, and surgical incisions. This property makes it a vulnerary.
- Cicatrisant: It gets rid of scars, scars from surgery, boils, acne, and chicken pox marks. It is a very strong circatrisant, so it helps the scars and other spots on the skin fade and vanish. It facilitates blood circulation just below the surface of the skin and also helps promote a uniform distribution of melanin.
- Cytophylactic: Geranium promotes cell health. It encourages the recycling of dead cells, and the regeneration of new cells. This helps in the growth of the bodies cells as well as the gametes by making the body metabolize things efficiently.
- Diuretic: Geranium has diuretic properties which increases urination. This is one of the three natural ways to get toxins out of the body. The other two ways are excretion and perspiration, but urination is the most effective way. The eliminated toxins are urea, uric acid, bile salts, pathogens and synthetic or chemical substances like heavy metals, pollutants, and even sugars. Also every time you urinate it removes about 4% of fats by the volume of urine and excess water removed from the body. Urination aids the digestive process and prohibits the formation of excess gas in the intestine. It is also an effective way of getting rid of excess acids and the bile that is secreted by the liver. Urination also reduces the blood pressure because the more you urinate, the more sodium is eliminated, causing blood pressure to fall.
- Deodorant: Geranium has a pleasant and uplifting aroma, comparable to the combination of floral fragrances and mint. It lasts for a long time and is not harsh on the skin. Plus you don't have all the cancer causing agents if you use geranium. Unlike other substances whose odors are released in exhalation, geranium oil is a circulatory oil, which means that is exits the body during perspiration. Excess physical activity is usually the time when the body odor because more apparent, but sweating actually releases the pleasant aroma of geranium oil following aromatherapy sessions.
- Styptic: This property is like the hemostatic property except with one difference. Being a styptic means being a hemostatic owing to astringent properties A styptic, like Geranium causes the blood vessels to contract thus slowing down or stopping the flow of blood. This can be a problem for people who have high blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis, heart attacks, and stroke.
- Neural Degeneration: Microglial cells are integral components in the fight against neuro-degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia. When microglial cells are activated, they release pro-inflammatory factors like Nitric Oxide, which combat the inflammation in the neural pathways that can cause neural degeneration. Geranium essentials oils is shown to activate these microglial cells, therefore, the synergistic relationship between geranium oil and natural chemistry of the brain can prevent those dangerous and potentially deadly conditions.
- Tonic: Geranium is a tonic that tones up overall health. It makes the all the systems and functions work properly in the body by influencing endocrine glands for regulation the secretion of various hormones, enzymes, acids and bile. This results in boosted strength and functionally of the respiratory, digestive, circulatory, nervous and excretory systems. Geranium also adds to muscle tones and skin and can seriously improve your overall appearance.
- Vermifuge: This particular property is very beneficial for the treatment of intestinal worms. Geranium can help get rid of them.
- Other Benefits: Geranium is very beneficial in treating acne, dermatitis, and other skin diseases, as well as infections of the nose, throat and other respiratory organs. Research has shown it has a positive effect on eczema, neuralgia, burns, tonsillitis, and post menopause syndrome (PMS). It also uplifts your spirit and mental function, which makes it an effective treatment for depression, chronic anxiety, and anger issues.
Quick Review: Geranium helps
- Prevent muscles and skin from sagging
- Promotes cell health and regeneration of new cells
- Treats acne and helps fade scars on skin
- Prevents bacteria from developing on wounds
- Increases urination and helps remove toxins from body
- Tones up over all health
- Fights disease like Alzheimer's and Dementia
- Helps you get rid of intestinal worms
- Treats depression and anxiety
- Aids in eliminating body odor