Top Dog Poisons

There are more than 100,000 cases of dog poisoning each year.  Most people aren't even aware of what is poisonous to their dogs. 

    • Prescription Medications 

    These are never safe for your pet.  Only give medication to your dog that a vet has prescribed and make sure you give the correct amount.  It doesn't always take very much to have deadly consequences in our dogs, so keep all medications out of the reach of your pet!  Anti-inflammatory and pain medications can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure.  Antidepressants can cause vomiting and, in more serious instances, serotonin syndrome which is a dangerous condition that raises the temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure that may cause seizures.

    • Insecticides

    Flea and tick products:  Thousands of dogs are unintentionally poisoned by these products every year.  Problems can occur if dogs accidentally ingest these products or if small dogs receive excessive amounts.

      • Over the counter medications

      Acetaminophen (Tylenol), iburprofen and naproxen (Advil or Alieve)   as well as herbal and nutraceutical products (fish oil, joint supplements)

      • Pet Medications

      Just as us humans can get ill or killed by medications intended to help us, so can our dogs.  Cases of dog poisoning by veterinary medications are not uncommon.  Some of the more common reported problem medications include painkillers and de-wormers.


      • Household Products

      From cleaners to fire logs.  Just as cleaners like bleach can be poisonous to humans, they are also the leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems.  Not surprisingly, chemicals contained in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.  The pet poisoning symptoms include upset stomach, vomiting, depression, chemical burns, renal failure and death.


      • People Food

      I did an entire blog on this topic, so check out my other blog for more information.  These foods are not harmful to humans, but can be deadly for dogs.  These are common things we may not think of as toxic for our beloved pets.  Animals have different metabolisms than us, some foods such as garlic and onions, as well as beverages that are perfectly safe for us can be dangerous and sometimes fatal.

      Chocolate: contains substances known as methylxanthines that can cause vomiting in small doses and in larger doses death. Darker chocolates contain more of these dangerous substances than white or milk chocolate.  For smaller breeds, just half an ounce of baking chocolate can be fatal, while larger breeds might survive 4 to 8 ounces, though 8 ounces would be very dangerous.  Coffee and caffeine have similarly dangerous chemicals.

      Alcohol: dogs can also like us get alcohol poisoning and symptoms would include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and in severe cases death.

      Macadamia nuts: you would see symptoms like vomiting, weakness, overheating, and fever.

      Grapes and raisins: these can cause kidney failure.  Even in small amount can cause serious issues.

      Xylitol: this sweetener is found in many products, including many sugar-free candy and gum.  It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures.   Liver failure also has been reported.


      • Plants

      Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include:

      Azaleas and rhododendrons:  these pretty lowering plants contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially even death

      Tulips and daffodils:  The bulbs of these plants may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and increased heart rate.

      Sago Palms:  Eating just a few seeds may be enough to cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure.


      • Rodenticides

      If ingested by dogs, can cause severe problems.  Signs may not ever now up for days after consumption.  In some instances, the dog may have eaten the poisoned rodent, and not been exposed to the toxin. 


      • Lawn and Garden Products

      Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to dogs who ingest them.


      Always have your local vet and emergency vet number in your phone and on your fridge.  Gather up what you think your dog may have eaten.  Try to stay calm as they feed off your stress, but act quickly.  Another important number to have on hand is the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) (888) 426-4435  They are available 24/7.  Another option is the Pet Poison Hotline. 




      Leave a Comment

      Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

      Liquid error (layout/theme line 514): Could not find asset snippets/spurit_uev-theme-snippet.liquid


      Sold Out